Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lightweight Breakfast  (Read 17641 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Lightweight Breakfast
« on: June 09, 2010 »

What does everyone like for breakfast when hiking - something light, not easily breakable and full of energy for a day on the hill? Porridge seems to be the general order of the day but what sort and with milk, milk powder or water? Plus lets be honest, it's not the most exciting food.

Scribble

• Hero Poster
Re: Lightweight Breakfast
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010 »

Ready made pancake mix from tescos put onto pan and served with sugar and lemon or just syrup
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010 »

Certainly not the lightest but The Full Monty or The Big Breakfast decanted into freezer bags.  Both are a mix of beans, sausages, bacon and burger pieces.  Maybe not the most healthiest thing but mighty tasty, especially on a wet foggy morning.  Probably worth the weight/wait?!

What other foodstuffs do you guys carry? I'm looking for options. :P
Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010 »

I think the food is worth the weight, it's the pots and pans needed to cook it all plus the cleaning afterwards. When you're on a peak with no water around it can be a hassle.

Certainly not the lightest but The Full Monty or The Big Breakfast decanted into freezer bags.  Both are a mix of beans, sausages, bacon and burger pieces.  Maybe not the most healthiest thing but mighty tasty, especially on a wet foggy morning.  Probably worth the weight/wait?!

ChuckMcB

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010 »

@J: When solo normally porridge with water (I'm funny about milk unless it's icy old)...leave it to cool and thicken...and it's not too bad. Thinking about using condensed milk, I'm told it comes in tubes a well as (heavier) tins.

Also has breakfast slices (reformed pork stuff) on my last overnight...forgot the oil....just used water (so it was hot spam rather than fired bacon). Couple of brown sauce sachets tea leafed from Sainsburys restaurant, stick the whole lot in a bap. Very little clean up needed since it seems to have a low fat content.

Ready made pancake mix
I'm soo doing that next time (haven't had 'proper' pancakes in ages, let alone up the mountain)....

My stable for dinner is Microwave rice and microwave chilli/rice pouches, fits perfect in a crusader cup. Takes about 10 minutes in boiling water (rice first then meat) Using microwave rice rather than boil in the bag means you have water for tea/coffee ready to be used straight away.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010 »

Condensed milk in tubes sounds like the job. I eat porridge most mornings. I have the microwave stuff that you just add milk to but I assumed it would be foul with water instead of milk. I like the idea of breakfast slices too - used to eat them lots when I was young. What did you cook the slices in - did you take a pan as well as a pot?

@J: When solo normally porridge with water (I'm funny about milk unless it's icy old)...leave it to cool and thicken...and it's not too bad. Thinking about using condensed milk, I'm told it comes in tubes a well as (heavier) tins.

Also has breakfast slices (reformed pork stuff) on my last overnight...forgot the oil....just used water (so it was hot spam rather than fired bacon). Couple of brown sauce sachets tea leafed from Sainsburys restaurant, stick the whole lot in a bap. Very little clean up needed since it seems to have a low fat content.

Ready made pancake mix
I'm soo doing that next time (haven't had 'proper' pancakes in ages, let alone up the mountain)....

My stable for dinner is Microwave rice and microwave chilli/rice pouches, fits perfect in a crusader cup. Takes about 10 minutes in boiling water (rice first then meat) Using microwave rice rather than boil in the bag means you have water for tea/coffee ready to be used straight away.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010 »

I found the secret to tasty porridge on the WHW!  On the penultimate day I was well and truly sick of porridge made with water, and my food bag was running a bit low.  What I did have left was a sachet of instant hot chocolate.  So I added the hot chocolate powder to the porridge oats and cooked up with water as usual.  It tasted great, bit like chocolate Ready Brek.  Actually Ready Brek could be a tasty alternative, might give it a try on Saturday morning :)

When it comes to the porridge oats I measure out individual portions and pop them in to a zip lock bag.  Usually add a tea spoon of sugar or two to the mix as well.  I also usually make sure that the portion I measure out has an easy to remember amount of water to go with it, like 250ml or 500ml.  That way when I dump the oats in my pot I know a mug of water will make the perfect porridge without being too sloppy or too thick.  I'm telling ya, Goldie Locks would approve of my porridge ;D 

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010 »

So is this just bog standard porridge oats - not the ready ones? I'll defo be giving the drinking chocolate addition a try. Seems like it might make all the diff.

I found the secret to tasty porridge on the WHW!  On the penultimate day I was well and truly sick of porridge made with water, and my food bag was running a bit low.  What I did have left was a sachet of instant hot chocolate.  So I added the hot chocolate powder to the porridge oats and cooked up with water as usual.  It tasted great, bit like chocolate Ready Brek.  Actually Ready Brek could be a tasty alternative, might give it a try on Saturday morning :)

When it comes to the porridge oats I measure out individual portions and pop them in to a zip lock bag.  Usually add a tea spoon of sugar or two to the mix as well.  I also usually make sure that the portion I measure out has an easy to remember amount of water to go with it, like 250ml or 500ml.  That way when I dump the oats in my pot I know a mug of water will make the perfect porridge without being too sloppy or too thick.  I'm telling ya, Goldie Locks would approve of my porridge ;D 

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010 »

When I ate porridge, we used powdered milk and standard Scottish rolled oats (Tesco value 1KG for 60p, good as any).  Raisins, trail mix, or sugar added for taste (Although, going by suspectmonkey's findings, maybe the milk powder could be replaced with Nesquik or the like?).  The pot is pretty gooey afterwards, but a little water and hand-full of grass soon cleans it up.

Frankfurters are a favourite.  Tortilla wrap and sachet of ketchup.

Loving the idea of pancake mix, and the bag of meat and beans  :)
Packet of sausage rolls would do the trick too.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

ChuckMcB

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010 »

What did you cook the slices in - did you take a pan as well as a pot?
Just in a crusader cup (which I'm trying to use more than my pot because it fits better into my ruck's side pocket) Just kept stirring it up.

Frankfurters are a favourite.  Tortilla wrap and sachet of ketchup.
Tortilla wrap rather than bread rolls...handy space saving idea.

ps. Onion Scrambled Eggs anyone? (shudder)

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010 »

for breakfast I have some smoked sausage and a few baby bel's. I can never be bothered to cook(read clean the pot) It also mean i can use all my water to hydrate.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010 »

for breakfast I have some smoked sausage and a few baby bel's. I can never be bothered to cook(read clean the pot) It also mean i can use all my water to hydrate.

Cous cous? ;)

Quote from: J
So is this just bog standard porridge oats

Yep, just good old Quaker Oats!  For some reason the Oat-So-Simple seems to weigh more than standard oats.  Not that I'm counting the grams or anything ::)  I also tried it with sachets of flavoured Options hot choc and the hazelnut hot chocolate tastes divine mixed with porridge.  For ultimate convenience pre-mix the hot choc with the oats in the zip lock bag!  Not sure how mine will turn out on Saturday morning using the Express stove though, the heat doesnt seem quite so controlled as the Trangia :o

I tried trail mix in my porridge at the first Donard Wood camp I went to.  Wasn't fussed on it for some reason, but I think it was the big Brazil nuts that put me off!  Some raisins are good in it though if you like that kinda thing...

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010 »

Cous cous? ;)
Quote from: J
So is this just bog standard porridge oats

Yep, just good old Quaker Oats!  For some reason the Oat-So-Simple seems to weigh more than standard oats.  Not that I'm counting the grams or anything ::)  I also tried it with sachets of flavoured Options hot choc and the hazelnut hot chocolate tastes divine mixed with porridge.  For ultimate convenience pre-mix the hot choc with the oats in the zip lock bag!  Not sure how mine will turn out on Saturday morning using the Express stove though, the heat doesnt seem quite so controlled as the Trangia :o

I tried trail mix in my porridge at the first Donard Wood camp I went to.  Wasn't fussed on it for some reason, but I think it was the big Brazil nuts that put me off!  Some raisins are good in it though if you like that kinda thing...

Only for dinner now jon I'm to hardcore to even boil water for a hot breakfast now ;)
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

Paul72

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010 »

"Oh my word, I'm far too old " RedLeader

Tim

• Top Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010 »

I generally use golden syrup flavored porridge and just add water. It's great because it weighs nothing, and you measure the amount of water needed by pouring it into the sachet the oats were in. It tastes great and takes less than 5 minutes to make. Tempted to starting bringing something a bit fancier next time though to fry up in a pan.
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]