Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: a little about me  (Read 3788 times)

rokcowboy

• Newbie Poster
a little about me
« on: August 03, 2016 »

My name is Trev and for a while now I've found myself wanting more and more to be able to just disappear for a night or two from the stresses and strains of the "real" world and spend some time surrounded by nature and nothing else.

I like the idea of throwing on a back back with the very basic equipment in and hiking off into a forest where i can build a simple shelter with the bits and pieces available on site and that is it. spend some time just being alone.

i have some basic knowledge of camping and am one of these people that has watched several of these reality shows of people living wild for a time and therefore think I'm an "expert". But the reality is that I don't know where to start and how to achieve my goals in a safe way that won't get me into any serious trouble.

That is pretty much why i joined this forum. I'm hoping that over the next few months i can get to know the camping scene over here in Northern Ireland and get some tips and info on how to be able to just get out there.

I'm not fantastic at navigating around forums so please bare with me but otherwise I look forward to hopefully meeting a few good characters while picking up some vital information on how to get myself back into nature.

thanks

Trev

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: a little about me
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016 »

Welcome Trev. Best plan is to get out there and have a play! By far the best way to learn this sort of stuff is doing some reading / watching and then just getting out there and having a crack at it. Practice with few days out and work up to overnighters. Also, bivvying is very accessible. Building shelters is a bit of an art and time consuming but turning up with a tarp / bivvy bag is very easy and enjoyable and also a good backup incase the shelter doesn't pan out.

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016 »

Welcome to the forum Trev, you'll find a lot of folks here who share the same sentiment. Head out to a group camp and once you've built up a bit of outdoors confidence, you'll find it a lot easier to go it alone when you want.
All the best with it.

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016 »

Welcome to NI WILD as the Yak said keep an eye out for people posting in the invites for short notice trips section and just jump in we're a friendly bunch   8)
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]