Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• Mourne Mountain Marathon: September 19, 2009 - September 20, 2009
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Mourne Mountain Marathon  (Read 12925 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster
The Mourne Mountain Marathon
« on: August 31, 2009 »

Nature of the Event

The Mourne Mountain Marathon is a competitive event for teams of two. At the start of each day teams are presented with a course of varying numbers of control markers which are identified by 6-figure map references. They must visit each control in the prescribed order but may chose their own route between each marker. A feature of the event is the overnight camp at which all teams must be self-sufficient with everything being carried throughout the two days of competition.
Prizes

This year we are offering cash prizes of £500, £300 and £200 for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place teams in the Elite Class - Open category. Other classes and categories will be awarded equipment and clothing prizes from a very substantial prize pot. Our thanks again to our main sponsors, Lowe Alpine and Jackson Sports for their support in this regard.

Classes and Categories

New in 2007 was the introduction of a 4th class - D Class - which was been created in response to competitor feedback over previous years. It had become increasingly difficult to meet the range of skills and experience of our competitors (local, national and international) with just 3 courses. The addition of the D Course allowed us to better balance the permutations of navigational complexity, distance, height and terrain to match your expectations. This new Class structure has proved very successful and has been kept.

The event is limited to an entry of 350 teams, which is necessary in order to preserve the essential character of the Mountain Marathon and to ensure that the success of any team should be dependant on their own navigation.

Elite Class

The main competitive class for competent and experienced mountain marathoners, hill runners and orienteers who have shown ability in similar endurance events. Entrants should have completed an Elite or A or B course at a recent mountain marathon or they should have achieved a fast time in a long fell navigation race or similar event.
Distance - 55km over 2 days
B Class

This class is slightly less difficult & arduous than the Elite class and is designed for those who have successfully completed similar courses or have previously done well at a lower level and feel ready to move up. While still a stern challenge this class does not attract the same high level of commitment and competition as the Elite class. Entrants should have very good navigation skills and significant experience of mountaineering or long days moving quickly in the hills.
Distance - 45 km over 2 days.
C Class

The C-Class demands a lower level of speed, endurance and navigational skill than the Elite and B Classes. It is suitable for Teams who have, perhaps some mountain marthon experience or who are good hill walkers who want to stretch themselves and their navigational capabilities on a 2 day event.
Distance - 35km over 2 days.
D Class

The D-Class is intended for teams who are either new to this type of event and/or have limited mountain experience or endurance. Although the overall length is the same as the C Class, the total climb is lower, the course terrain less arduous and route choices are easier. Mountain navigation and safety skills are still required. We do not expect the same high level of competition as in the other classes but there has always been a strong comradeship between the teams at this level - especially at the overnight camp.

CATEGORIES

Each class is broken down into the individual race categories. Since last year we have  standardised with other mountain marathons in that Veteran teams will be defined as combined ages of 90 or over. There are no Junior categories. Minimum age on the first day of the event is entry is 18 years old.
O    Open    The overall competition for teams of any age and either sex.
L    Ladies    Both team members must be women
M    Mixed    Team composed of one man and one woman of any age
V    Veteran    Combined team age of 90 or more.
LV    Ladies Veteran    Both team members must be women whose combined age is 90 or over.
MV    Mixed Veteran    Team composed of a man and a woman whose combined age is 90 or over.

Vetting

It is up to each entrant to assess his or her own ability against their experience and the information provided here and elsewhere on this website. Entrants will not be vetted on grounds of safety but may be vetted on grounds of competative fairness (in B or C classes). Those we deem to have entered a class well below their abilities may be advised to move up a class, run non-competatively or withdraw. N.B. When comparing events you should look at the previous course descriptions and winning times rather than rely on course names (eg: "Elite" or "B Class") as these differ from event to event.

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: The Mourne Mountain Marathon
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009 »

Who from NI-Wild is doing this?

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009 »

Me! I've taken the plunge and upgraded my self to the "C" class this year! Last years was roughly 35k and 6500ft asscent, hope its not as bad as it sounds! I'm Not going fully competitave tho, aslong as I'm not last I'm not overly botherd its more the experience for me! And ofc the free t-shirt!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009 »

Me! I've taken the plunge and upgraded my self to the "C" class this year! Last years was roughly 35k and 6500ft asscent, hope its not as bad as it sounds! I'm Not going fully competitave tho, aslong as I'm not last I'm not overly botherd its more the experience for me! And ofc the free t-shirt!

Are you going solo?

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009 »

No doin it with a friend. You cant go solo and if your partner drops out you have to aswell.

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009 »

MG1 and Billy backpack are giving it ago in the d class. Same idea as Chris not going to win be happy to finish.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009 »

The D-Class is intended for teams who are either new to this type of event and/or have limited mountain experience or endurance. Although the overall length is the same as the C Class, the total climb is lower, the course terrain less arduous and route choices are easier. Mountain navigation and safety skills are still required. We do not expect the same high level of competition as in the other classes but there has always been a strong comradeship between the teams at this level - especially at the overnight camp.

sounds like fun stain ;D
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009 »

Its roughly 11 miles a day. That Sunday is going to hurt :'(
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009 »

you wont have any trouble sleeping after day 1. ::)
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009 »

Good luck all of you and don't forget to sign up a few new members!

Spark

• Top Poster
    • Causeway Coast Adventure Racing
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009 »

Im also doing it, this year will be my 4th year  :o tho still doing C class the last years we have came in around the 25th overall and 5/6th mixed pair, have a new partner this year too and he has never did anything like this before (he is in for a shock)...! I think we will be a good bit slower this year as in other years i was not doing the nav and was also being towed along............lol

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009 »

Lol like you wouldnt believe! last year I slept from 1730 right thru untill I got up at like 0700!

Spark

• Top Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009 »

Lol like you wouldnt believe! last year I slept from 1730 right thru untill I got up at like 0700!

You were very lucky I hardly slept at all I was suffering from a head cold last year and found it so hard to breath during the night then there was the snoarring from other tents,ended up having to go to the loo at about 4am, i was freezing when i got back into the tent and that was that no sleep...!

Also took quite bad cramp in my legs one year and didnt get much sleep...!

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009 »

Me and my mate are also entering the C class, certainly seems popular

First year for the both of us, and although I think we'll be a good bit off the lead, I would like to come in the top third or so. I know a couple of pairs running, so should hopefully be a good bit of banter at the campsite, If I don't fall into my tent for the night.

Even with the gear cull to make our packs light, I think a bottle of port (carried in a platypus) will probably make its way to the campsite, either that or getting drunk enroute if its all going horribly wrong  :D

Spark

• Top Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009 »

Dont for get your large freezer bags for your feet at overnight camp..!

Wet socks off.....dry socks on....and if you need to put your wet shoes back on then put your bags into your shoes to keep socks dry till the morning............. ;)
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]