Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Camping Stove Vs Campfire  (Read 24142 times)

thatshandy86

Camping Stove Vs Campfire
« on: June 04, 2014 »

I'm gathering up gear and equipment needed for a weekend hike and I've basically been trawling the forum and doing some generic Google searching on the recommended or staple kit for a hike.

One of the things that always stands out with me is gas stove or trangia for cooking.  I'm wondering though, if you're certain you'll have a small campfire on the go, is this really necessary?

Andy

Fred

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Top Poster
Re: Camping Stove Vs Campfire
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014 »

Hi There
I have used both stoves and wood fires in the past and the main problem with the fire is that it blackens your pots. The smoke leaves a sticky black residue on them that is hard to remove and will ruin the inside of your rucksack. Also, you need to be sure that you are allowed to light a fire at your chosen camp and that wood will actually be available. Admittedly a stove is extra weight but it does give the reliability of a instant clean source of heat.

Fred
Theres nothing like an Irish summer...
...Except an Irish winter

BeardySi

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014 »

Smear the outside of the pots with washing up liquid before putting them on the fire  and the black will wash off easily...
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure some of them are dirt...

thatshandy86

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014 »

I guys, great info here thanks :)

For a 2 day hike though, i figure i'll only really need to cook once, as all meals around it can be prepacked or not require a heat source.
That being said, I was considering just bringing a small grill rack, which I can wrap in a plastic bag and strap to the outside of my pack when i'm done and transporting back home.

andymcinroy

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014 »

For a lightweight overnighter I sometimes just take a trangia burner and some tin foil. The pot can be balanced on rocks above the burner and the tin foil can protect the setup from the wind. This setup is fine for a quick brew or one pot meal. 

A small campfire can be nice if the site is safe and if you can find fuel. Having a trangia burner backup in your bag won't add a lot of weight.

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014 »

I'd recommend a Trangia Mini, it's lightweight and compact, everything fits inside the pot, and you get a frying pan, burner, pot and wind-shield. You can't always rely on wood or fuel being around and it saves lugging firelogs with you, it's great for firing up a quick brew when you take a rest stop from trekking around the hills. Also, in the morning, it saves relighting a fire just to get a brew on or cook some grub, especially if it's raining.

Amazon: http://goo.gl/nZKwW

Cotswold: http://goo.gl/wbN66Y

thatshandy86

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014 »

Thanks for all this guys, I guess the general consensus is - 'prepare for both', and I'd rather have, than be without!

I'd recommend a Trangia Mini, it's lightweight and compact, everything fits inside the pot, and you get a frying pan, burner, pot and wind-shield. You can't always rely on wood or fuel being around and it saves lugging firelogs with you, it's great for firing up a quick brew when you take a rest stop from trekking around the hills. Also, in the morning, it saves relighting a fire just to get a brew on or cook some grub, especially if it's raining.

Amazon: http://goo.gl/nZKwW

Cotswold: http://goo.gl/wbN66Y

Ace! Thanks specimanYak, something like this i definitely wouldn't begrudge carrying :)

polroger

• Top Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014 »

I love my MSR Dragonfly.  A little bulkier than the mini Trangia but boils water super quick and simmers with excellent precision.  Check it out - http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/gourmet-cooking/dragonfly/product
Reason and rationality are chasing us....... but we are faster

thatshandy86

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014 »

That's a lovely bit of kit.  Probably a little more on the un-necessary side for myself though, but it's bookmarked for the future when I get a few more expeditions under my belt :)

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014 »

Cooking method heavily depends on the food your eating. If its packets of sausages etc then providing you can do so use a campfire. It means you don't have to lug around heavy cooking gear or fuel. Otherwise the general pros and cons to each as I view them are.

Campfires:  Free fuel
                   No cleaning of gear
                   Multipurpose
                   Good for group chats etc

Requires a nearby source of fuel
                   Requires careful care and setup for a long burn
                   Can be weather dependent
                   Takes time to correctly clear up

Trangia
Meth Stove:Low cost starting price
                   Can get compact all in kits
                   Requires little to no cleaning
                   Can be used to cook just about anything

Slow compared to other carry fuel types
                   Heavy
                   Needs careful fuel storage to prevent spills
                   Can be a tricky in windy areas without additional protection

Gas stoves:Fast cooking & instant heat
                   Has near zero cleanup
                   Works anywhere anytime
                   Can be used inside a shelter

Limited in food types without extra equipment
                   Can be expensive initial cost
                   Can involve bulky storage. 

There are obviously lots of other points about each and no doubt many folks on here can demonstrate how an individual brand or model doesn't suffer from a problem or such. But in general you find this should cover most aspects of cooking methods. Your best bet is to first decide what food you want and where you will be doing your cooking, then tailor your method to best suit your needs.                 

thatshandy86

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014 »

Cheers Rich! That's a great help.   
You're absolutely right about the food though.. I originally started the thread with the idea of bringing along sausages and other easily bbq'd food which was the reason for the ask. 

I'd like to cook other foods on down the line, and i've got a fair picture in my head now of what kit i'll need in certain scenarios :)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014 »

Ahh, the age old quandary for the modern camper  ;D If there's one topic we love around here it's stoves!

I go open fire if there's a fire about. I always keep the pots in a plastic bag to stop them dirtying other gear. Generally if there's a fire, there's usually water about so cleaning them can be more straightforward. Also, we often just carry a grill and cook meat directly on the fire if it's to eat with bread or similar.

With no fire there's pros to all stove types. Gas is handy and light but you're at the mercy of half empty canisters and they're not great in the snow but have an easily controlled flame. Trangia/meths is very handy but slow and it's hard to manipulate the heat and they can perform poorly in strong winds. I use both depending on mood.

There's a good Trangia writeup here:
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/blog/2011/06/the-big-trangia-review/

thatshandy86

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014 »

I think you have the same mentality as myself RedLeader!

I just thought i'd get a second opinion on it, as I i might have overlooked some situation where a stove would be vital.

I don't plan on straying from a path where there won't be access to readily available materials for a camp fire, and being the lover of all things BBQ'd i'd be happy to eat flame grilled foods the whole time......

...if only there were a surplus of wild boar roaming the land, the camp fire could easily be modded to a spit ;o)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014 »

Oh yes, can't beat meat on an open fire. We've done a few legs of lamb hung over the fire in our time and it's always been epic.
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/meets-places-trips-and-reviews/easter-wild-camp-annalong-wood-67-april-2013/20/?

Personally I'd always avoid BBQs as I'd either be in a forest with a fire or in the hills where I'd defo not want the weight.

I think you have the same mentality as myself RedLeader!

I just thought i'd get a second opinion on it, as I i might have overlooked some situation where a stove would be vital.

I don't plan on straying from a path where there won't be access to readily available materials for a camp fire, and being the lover of all things BBQ'd i'd be happy to eat flame grilled foods the whole time......

...if only there were a surplus of wild boar roaming the land, the camp fire could easily be modded to a spit ;o)

thatshandy86

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014 »

Of course ;)
If i was packing a BBQ, I may as well pack a stove...

And sure no better BBQ-grill than the lovely wood burning campfire itself!
Pages: [1] 2 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]