Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: river main antrim shane's castle  (Read 10020 times)

Wolf_Larson

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Adventure
river main antrim shane's castle
« on: August 11, 2013 »

Me and a mate went into Randalstown forest Saturday morning to build a shelter make an oven pit (for are smoked gammon) then get are tinder for are fire to light from spark, we also cooked some fish on are hot rock from the fire just by placing them on the rocks round the fire. Everything was going fine until a bailiff came and told us to move because we where not in Randalstown forest, we where on the  river main in the shane's castle estate !!!

Long story short, when we explain we thought we where in Randalstown forest (we knew we where not :-\) and we wanted no trouble, just to do a little bushcraft. To be fair he came around and let us stay as long as we put the fire out and did not use head lamps and left 1st thing sunday morning. We then done everything he said, well.......... (The fire stayed lit because i only put it half out ;))

It was a great trip and i must add the best shelter ive ever seen thanks to the help of my mate, the smoked gammon from the oven pit was top class and the fish on the rocks around the fire was great. Its just a pity a lot of these  beautiful places people own or people mess and ruin it for the rest  >:(

Over all great trip ill never forget.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013 by Wolf_Larson »
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
Re: river main antrim shane's castle
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013 »

::) some navigation practice required?

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013 »

I new where i was Drybag, it was just a cracker spot i did not want to move from  :-\

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013 »

Any photos Wolf?  Would love to see the shelter and the ham.
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013 »

Sorry Dower i have a £10 phone from tesco and no camera, my mate had a camera phone but his battary died that night. I think he got a couple of pictures of a bridge at main river that day, ill see if he can put them on.

Ill have to get a better phone, as there are many plants i would like to take pictures of to ID them, also trees. When GF contact is up i can take her I phone 5 i think it is  ;D

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013 »

Sorry Dower i have a £10 phone from tesco and no camera, my mate had a camera phone but his battary died that night. I think he got a couple of pictures of a bridge at main river that day, ill see if he can put them on.

Ill have to get a better phone, as there are many plants i would like to take pictures of to ID them, also trees. When GF contact is up i can take her I phone 5 i think it is  ;D

Awww, you can't beat a good photo set to tell a story.  You really should try and pick up a cheap camera for recording your plants and adventures.  No matter how good a phone camera is, with regards to pixels, it's hard to beat a proper camera... even a cheap second hand one!  You could pick up a wee Sony Cyber Shot on ebay for about £20 and the pictures aren't bad at all. I used one for years as my compact.  Some of the Cyber Shots even come with a Carl Zeiss lens  ;)

I would have given you my old one but we gaffer-taped it to my kids remote controlled car a couple of weeks back and got some cool high speed footage until we crashed it into a slide and it smashed to a thousand pieces  :(

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013 by Dowser »
See the View

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013 »

lol, taped it to a wee car !!!

Yeh mate i do agree about getting a cam as it is a nightmare i cant show you all my trip as it was a cracker. I might even get a lend of a camera just to walk to the spot with the shelter and oven pit just to get a picture of it, just a day trip as they don't tate to kind to campers or bushcrafters. :-X
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013 by Wolf_Larson »

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013 »

Awww, you can't beat a good photo set to tell a story.  You really should try and pick up a cheap camera for recording your plants and adventures.  No matter how good a phone camera is, with regards to pixels, it's hard to beat a proper camera... even a cheap second hand one!  You could pick up a wee Sony Cyber Shot on ebay for about £20 and the pictures aren't bad at all. I used one for years as my compact.  Some of the Cyber Shots even come with a Carl Zeiss lens  ;)

I would have given you my old one but we gaffer-taped it to my kids remote controlled car a couple of weeks back and got some cool high speed footage until we crashed it into a slide and it smashed to a thousand pieces  :(

So I was just watching the wee video there admiring how the car was carefully manoeuvred around the slides and swings, and then wham! Dowser takes over the controls, full speed ahead and lets Wack the crap outta anything that's nailed down, mind me to never get in a canoe with you mucker!  ;D
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013 »

So I was just watching the wee video there admiring how the car was carefully manoeuvred around the slides and swings, and then wham! Dowser takes over the controls, full speed ahead and lets Wack the crap outta anything that's nailed down, mind me to never get in a canoe with you mucker!  ;D

There's nothing I can say in my defence... I am truly ashamed of myself  :-[

Perhaps I need to apply for this: http://www.theaa.com/aadrivetech/driver-awareness/speed-awareness-northernireland.html
See the View

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]