Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: First overnighter with kids  (Read 5600 times)

Moxy

• Jr. Poster
First overnighter with kids
« on: September 28, 2015 »

It has come to the point that every outdoorsy dad surely gets to, when I am going to take my son on a 1 night stay in hotel annalong for some father-son bonding. I have tried preparing him with pictures, videos, bought him a new sleeping bag and ordered a new tent (any excuse!) Lol. But really its going to boil down to getting him up there, lighting a fire and a bit of hide and seek to get him comfortable being out in the woods. I'm also still trying to get him into understanding there's no WIFI up there! Typical kids! I would love to hear some peoples stories, both good and bad (if there are any) just so I'm going in with my eyes open.

Cheers
MOXY
Alive or just breathing?

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: First overnighter with kids
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015 »

Just remember to bring the marshmallows  ;)
think outside, no box required

Moxy

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015 »

That's the first thing he asked me to take! Lol
Alive or just breathing?

andymcinroy

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015 »

Hi Moxy,

I regularly wild camp with my two kids and I think the key to their enjoyment is to have them doing as much as possible to help. When we pitch up I get one of my kids to prepare the kitchen area while the other will setup the inside of the tent.

A few ideas.
1. A trangia is a great way to cook with kids. It's safe, fun and you can actually cook meals on it. Makes a great focal point for pre-dinner cupasoup. 
2. Take a snap glow stick to hang up inside the tent after dark. Makes a perfect night light, tent marker and you can play games with it and paint light trails in photographs.
3. Pack a firelog or 2 to keep them warm and midge free well into the evening. I know that they say you shouldn't toast marshmallows over these but we do regularly  ;D
4. Steamed pudding, custard and hot chocolate !
5. When we leave I have them scouring the whole area for signs of our presence. It will avoid lost gear and also instill a leave-no-trace ethic.

Here's a superb place to camp with kids that I wrote about a while ago.
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/blog/2014/05/loch-altan-donegal-wild-camping-at-its-finest/

Have fun.

Moxy

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015 »

Cheers Andy, have trangia and glow sticks. We did a practice of putting the tent up yesterday and he loved it, which is a start. And of course I will be lacking bags for the leave no trace side of things.
Alive or just breathing?

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015 »

Brilliant mate just enjoy it you'll learn more from him than he will from you. Me and my wingman's first wild camp was Annalong a few years back and he loved it. Arm the wee fella with a few outdoorsy gizmos and a wee firesteel (there's an arsonist in all of us) and you can always make him the excuse for all your future camping trips  ;D
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

Moxy

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015 »

Glenn, you and I are definitely on the same page with the arsonist stuff lol I am going to let him start the fire, which was a huge outdoors confidence booster for me on my first camping trip with the scouts, all those years ago. Who needs a TV when you have an open fire and a few manly stories! (Heavily censored)
Alive or just breathing?

Dannyboy

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015 »

Hey Moxy, i ain't no veteran at the old wild camping having only ventured out this year for the first time. I quickly became addicted and then of course the kiddies started asking to come, I played safe and took the oldest 2 lol they are 11 and 10 and I have to say as much as I was nervous they had a great time and it was easier than I ever imagined  ;D like above they had plenty of input helping to cook and collect wood etc and the next day we also did the no trace rummage around to be sure we left all as if we were never there and they really enjoyed that part. I'm going to be brave if the weather holds out and take all 4 kids soon the younger being 4 and 5  :-\ ill let you know how that goes  ;)

RDeckard

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015 »

My 2 kids are 9 and 6, i'm getting geared up at the moment and am planning to take them out soon as well. Same of you Dannyboy i'm a bit nervous but i know they'll love it.

I'm based in Co Tyrone, anyone know of any good wild camping spots in Tyrone/Donegal?

I've seen a few of your posts andymcinroy and they've given me a good few ideas.

noble98

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015 »

what about ditching the tent and going WILD!

This was a microadventure we had the other week with the 4 kids. Just a 30 min cycle from the house.

RDeckard

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015 »

That looks class, last time i slept out without a tent was about 30 years ago, maybe time to do it again!!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]