Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Trassey to Commedagh and back.  (Read 8776 times)

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
Trassey to Commedagh and back.
« on: September 21, 2015 »

The weather forecast for Saturday passed was giving a fine dry day and mostly clear sky's so I talked Mrs B into another wee dander in the Mournes.  Now Mrs B's only previous experience in the Mournes had been up through Donard wood to the ice house and a good dander up the Annalong valley so on Saturday I thought id mix it up a bit and maybe do a summit or three  :o :o

We parked up at Meelmore Lodge and made our way up along the Trassey Track and took the high path to the right past the boulder field to Hares Gap passing loads of folks out on a charity hike for the NSPCC.
Mrs B was going well and still in good spirits so when I suggested we go left and up the steps at the start of the climb up Slievenaglogh she was all for it ;)  A wee while later we were up and that was her first summit ticked off. After a bit of a breather and some juice I pointed out the shelter hut on Commedagh "sure we'll take a dander up there" she must have thought I was joking "right come on we'll go on up the top of this one" Slieve Corragh. Now things were getting a bit tighter we puffing and panting like gooduns, chat was down to zero and the odd F's were starting to get threw about ::) ::) so after a few photo opportunities - rests we were up. Summit number two ticked off. 
After a bit of a look around,  a few selfies ( I know I know)  and our faces returning to their normal colour :) ( this is the stage when divorce entered Mrs B's mind) "where to now" I was asked.  "Sure we're going on up to the wee shelter hut" Commedagh " are you taking the pi$$" and another flurry of F's flew out of her :o :o :o :o "come on sure you've came this far another half an hour and you'll be up (it was a very quiet half an hour). Upon reaching the summit "see did you die" was probably not the best question to ask lol.
A bit of a wander around the summit and a good 45 mins for a "BEAUTIFUL" picnic lunch (I was trying to get back on her good side)  was just what we needed I explained that it was all down hill now over the far side down to the saddle an onto the Brandy Pad for the return journey back to Hares Gap. Summit number three ticked.
The hike back along the Brandy Pad was a relief after our tough start to the day and we were talking again ;D ;D  I have to admit I was getting it tighter than the Mrs, The views you get along the Brandy Pad are some of the best in the Mournes and before long we were stopping to polish off the remains of our lunch at Hares Gap. Chatting about this and that we set of on the last leg of the hike back down Trassey to Meelmore lodge where a couple of bottles of juice and a few mars bars set us up for the drive home.
A great day out with about 6hrs walking, great weather and that "BEAUTIFUL" picnic lunch  ;D ;D
 Ps Mrs B wants to know when we're heading up again HA HA her barks worse than her bite.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135278190@N04/shares/eCuV20
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Trassey to Commedagh and back.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015 »

She'll be wanting to go camping in Annalong wood next  ;D
think outside, no box required

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015 »

She'll be wanting to go camping in Annalong wood next  ;D
Hay Hay  that's enough of that  :o

marceemarc

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016 »

I'm sure we crossed paths that day. I was camping at the Trassey river on the Friday night and went to Commedagh on the Saturday. Was a very fine day for it. Nice pics on the link :)
“We’ll take in a quick bite at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.” - Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016 »

Emm my post was from last year :-[ :-[ lol.

marceemarc

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016 »

haha, whoops! Prob didn't see you after all!
“We’ll take in a quick bite at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.” - Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]