Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: New to website.  (Read 4737 times)

Ulsterman

• Newbie Poster
New to website.
« on: September 14, 2015 »

Hello! Trying to get back into a bit of hiking and camping after about 35 years. Grew up in the foothills of the Mournes but now live in Co. Antrim. I have read lots of your posts over the last few days and probably have as many new questions as those for which I have already found answers but I will try to keep my questions as short as possible.

Questions are up the Mournes related:
Pack Size: Is 9-10kg including rucksack average?
Pitching Sites: Read at least one post where there was insufficient soil to pitch on. Is this normal?
Pitching Ground Conditions: Is a tougher additional ground sheet required under the tent to prevent damage?
Tent Size: Will mostly be on my own but may have one of the kids with me the odd time. What is the best 2 man lightweight?
Tent Design: Tents without porches are lighter but you can't cook in them and additional tarps etc. add weight so seems to be half a dozen of one etc. What is the best design for ease of pitching/location/wind/after dark etc?
General: What not to buy and what not to carry?

Any other advice will be very welcome thanks. Great site!! :)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: New to website.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015 »

Welcome Ulsterman, i'll give my tuppence worth on your questions

THAT'S WHAT I'D HAVE IF PREPARED FOR THE WORST WHEN TAKING A GROUP OUT (TORCHS, BOTHY BAG, SPARE CLOTHING ,FOOD, LOTS OF WATER) BUT I'D AIM A BIT LIGHTER NORMALLY.

Pitching Sites: Read at least one post where there was insufficient soil to pitch on. Is this normal?
NO, PLENTY OF SOIL EXCEPT MEELMORE SUMMIT  ;D

Pitching Ground Conditions: Is a tougher additional ground sheet required under the tent to prevent damage?
NEVER USED ONE AND NEVER PUNCTURED A TENT BASE, I RECKON THEY ARE REALLY ONLY FOR THE ULTRALIGHT TENTS ON ROUGH (STONEY) GROUND), TYAKE A LITTLE TIME TO CLEAR YOUR GROUNDZONE, SOME PEOPLE BRING A STIFF HAND BRUSH TO CLEAR THE AREA.

Tent Size: Will mostly be on my own but may have one of the kids with me the odd time. What is the best 2 man lightweight?
ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR BUDGET BUT I'D RECOMMEND THE GELERT ROCKY 2 OR 3 FOR A LOW BUDGET, MID BUDGET THERE'S LOADS OF CHOICE IN THE VANGO RANGE, HIGHER BUDGET I LIKE THE VAUDE TAURUS 2.

Tent Design: Tents without porches are lighter but you can't cook in them and additional tarps etc. add weight so seems to be half a dozen of one etc. What is the best design for ease of pitching/location/wind/after dark etc?
DEARER TENTS TEND TO BE EASIER PITCHED AS THEY THE POLE SLOTS IN THE END AUTOMATICALLY, I HAVE PITCHED MY VAUDE SINGLE HANDEDLY IN A GALE (HAVE VIDEO TO PROVE IT   ;) ) CHECK OUT THE VANGO PULSAR, HAS MASSIVE PORCH AND STILL A REASONABLE WEIGHT.

I SHOULD SAY THINGS LIKE DISCO BALLS, CHINESE TAKEAWAYS, TABLE & CHAIRS, BUT I'VE MANAGED TO GET ALL OF THE ABOVE TO WILD CAMPS  ::)
think outside, no box required

Ulsterman

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015 »

Thanks for the reply LandyLiam!

Had looked at the Pulsar but thought it was a bit heavy at 3.5kg (was part of my 9-10kg pack list) so went down to the Zenith which is only 2.1kg and a bit cheaper as well. No porch for cooking relaxing reading TV etc but then again if I carry too much I wont be fit to cook etc when I finally get somewhere. Haven't committed yet - watching gumtree just in case someone decides to hang up their hiking boots and has a big clearout. Then there is always the Blue Peter special - homemade, sticky back plastic etc winterproject. Already been on the extremtextil.de website. ::)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015 »

I didn't realise your pack weight included tent! in which case thats excellent, I couldn't get mine below 10kg for the mountain marathon and thats sharing some stuff with a partner.

Ed

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015 »

A 10KG or less pack for an overnighter is good going indeed.
Last month I went for a quick bivvy after work on Slievenaglogh with an 8kg pack, but that was a bivvy, rather than a tent.

Dehydrated meals help with the old weight limit, but they do kinda kill the fun of the evening meal a little bit, so I wouldn't be bothering with them for a handy hotel annalong camp or similar.

What tent do you use btw?
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Ulsterman

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015 »

This is my wish list as most of these I have not bought yet. With some spare clothes and food it will be over 10kg

ITEM                                                                             WEIGHT KGS
Waterproof Jacket   Berghaus RG Alpha Waterproof Jacket           0.620
Waterproof Trousers   Berghaus Deluge Waterproof Overtrousers   0.390
Tent                           VANGO Zenith 200                                   2.120
Head Torch           ?                                                                0.100
Rucksack                   BERGHAUS Explorer 40                           1.310
Sleeping Bag           Summit 250 Sleeping Bag                           1.600
Sleeping Mat           Thermarest Trail Pro Regular                   0.860
Stove                   Vango Compact Gas Stove + stand           0.127
Fleece                    Skiing Microfleece                                   0.400
Gaiters                   Rab Latok Alpine Gaiters                           0.266
Down Jacket           Karrimor Mens Ice Down Jacket                 0.500
First Aid Kit           Lifesystems                                           0.250
Dy Bag                   Exped 20L Dry Bag                                 0.082
Pillow                   Blue Mountain Pillow                                   0.220
Windshield                   Vango windshield                                   0.250
Pots                           Vango Hard Anodised Cook Set - 1 Person    0.225
Cutlery                   Vango Knife Fork and Spoon Set                   0.079
Hat                           Gloves & hat                                           0.080
Gas                           Gas canister                                           0.200
other                       Food   
                           Spare clothes   
                                                                                      9.679

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015 »

So you weigh your gear to the nearest gramme, we like your sort here  ;D

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015 »

That's not a bad weight at all. I struggle to get <10kg as a general rule

Not that I'm aware but if you did have this issue you'd never have to move far to get peg-worthy ground

Some places can be a bit gravelly in the Mournes but I've never punctured anything. Suppose throwing something like a builders tarp under the tent would do no harm. Or most lightweight tents with very thin groundsheets usually have a footprint you can buy.

A contentious question, everyone has their own ideas  ::) I personally really like the Vango Banshee 200

Porches are more handy for wet gear than cooking in my book. I've never really had a tent with a proper porch and in general I'd rather have a lighter tent with no porch and carry a spare small ultralight tarp. More flexible.

I like gear, I say buy everything once and try it, just don't tell the wife ;)

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]