Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alpkit Brupot  (Read 12961 times)

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Alpkit Brupot
« on: October 15, 2014 »

HAd the postie drop this to me today so did a quick test and compare to see if I had a winner or a doorstop. So out of the bag it seems pretty big but then I have been using the MSI ultralite pot recently and got used to how small that was, so a quick shot of the pot, it's sleeve, lid and the carry bag. Then a size comparison with a jetboil 100g canister and a no brand 200g can.

Big Image

Big Image

One thing that was nice is that it comes with four marked points already so no need to add your own.

Big Image
The stove I use is a Vango clone of the MSI type, there's hundreds of em about and cost a fraction of the MSI one, happily this pot sits perfectly on the arms, with the raised baffles sitting nicely above.

Big Image

Big Image

So decided to fire up a quick test against the MSI ultralite pot, now it will be slightly unfair as the MSI pot is only 600ml so it has a smaller base area to heat from, but the difference is less than 25% and so should still give comparable results. Both pots were filled with 500ml of tap water, the stove was fired up to full power and both had lids on.

Big Image
The camera doesn't show the flame very well but there was zero flame loss around the edge of the pot, those baffles did work to keep everything focused on the base only.

So for timings, the MSI pot came in at 3:02 for a full boil and the Alpkit pot clocked in at :134 for a full boil. I was shocked at just how fast it was, and there must be some truth to those baffles in how they work. Looking at that kind of difference it would also save me around 50% of my gas costs as I am using less gas for each boil.

Overall I am impressed by this pot for how it works, the price tag of £20 including delivery is great and lower than you can pay for some standard mugs alone. Due to how fast it boils it means you can put the lid on while boiling (though just resting, not clipped), and it does not suffer any melting. The coated handles are a nice touch as no need for gloves when removing from the heat, and though I forgot to check the weight the I can't believe it clocks in more than 240g for the total package (website states 222g), this keeps things in the lightweight group. The pot happily takes a 200g no brand gas can inside and would likely take a 400g if you needed it to do so.

However I have seen instantly a couple of issues, firstly the lid does have a drinking slot cut though having just tried it when empty it feels wrong somehow, it doesn't quite fit your mouth and requires some acrobatics of your lids to cover properly, It may become annoying enough that I will just modify the lid or print a new one that has a proper drinking spout, time will tell there. Secondly the neoprene sleeve has potential issues. Due to the pot having handles you have a cut out on the sleeve, this means you need to fiddle with it a few times when empty at home to get a method that works easiest. There seems to be no easy way to get it on. I would say if you do not have a flat surface for the pot while fitting a sleeve it would be near dangerous when filled with boiled water, when on flat ground it is just awkward and could be compounded by either gloves or cold hands.

Finally there is an issue with cost here, not of this pot but of the full Brukit pack they sell which has a stove with built in fins to cover the flame. The Brukit retails for £35 so you are paying £15 for that cover. That also adds more than 100% to the total weight of the kit. My concern is just how much heat is being lost to the sides of the pot with any standard stove. I was able to happily hold my hands around the sides at a fair distance without feeling them getting too hot. That must mean the pot baffles do at least 90% of the work to retain heat. In that regard unless someone does not own any sort of gas stove burner, then you have to think about how much gas the cover saves you, then work out how long before that saved gas pays for the burner. That is assuming the burner does not break before costs have been recouped and you need a replacement.

If someone does not own any sort of gas burner then by all means get the Brukit as it is a great deal, for anyone else I would say save the £15 and get the pot on it's own.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014 by Rich.H »

spynappels

• Jr. Poster
Re: Alpkit Brupot
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014 »

Nice writeup Rich, thanks very much.

Trying to decide on whether to get this or the MyTiPot, but for my tiny stove (Vango Ultralite), I'm not sure the pot rests are big enough for the BruPot. Maybe when I finally get my multi fuel stove..... :)

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014 »

Nice writeup Rich, thanks very much.

Trying to decide on whether to get this or the MyTiPot, but for my tiny stove (Vango Ultralite), I'm not sure the pot rests are big enough for the BruPot. Maybe when I finally get my multi fuel stove..... :)

What is the diameter on the supports of the ultralite stove? If you can happily sit a 200g gas can on there you should be fine.

spynappels

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014 »

Hi Rich,

The folded out supports have a diameter of 110mm. What is the outside diameter of the support on the bottom of the BruPot and the internal diameter?

Stefan

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014 »

Internal diameter is 11.3cm but the ring support where the baffles are is around 1.5 cm wide so I can't see you having any problems.

spynappels

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014 »

Top banana!

May have to get one to try it out.

Thanks for the info.

Stefan

AdamMcC5

• Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014 »

Just got an email this morning to say these are now back in stock along with some more pots  ;D
If in doubt, get the coffee out

spynappels

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014 »

Just placed an order.......

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014 »

Excellent review Rich, I think the kit stork might be bringing a new arrival to my doorstep soon ;)

AdamMcC5

• Top Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014 »

I also placed an order based on Rich's review  :D youtube also has a few videos now showing boiling times etc 

spynappels

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014 »

Woohoo!

Mine arrived today, will be doing some boiltests in the next day or two!

See what you've done Rich? ;-)

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014 »

Woohoo!

Mine arrived today, will be doing some boiltests in the next day or two!

See what you've done Rich? ;-)

Good to see you got yours, no need to splash out extra on other product for a name badge.

AdamMcC5

• Top Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014 »

Unfortunately mine didn't even work which is very annoying  :-[ any gas (primus, jet boil..) that's connected to it barely struggles to get through and burn. Seems like something is blocked up. Back on Monday for a refund  :-\

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014 »

Flip, that's not like Alpkit to produce dodgy kit. Hopefully they'll have a new one out quickly.

Unfortunately mine didn't even work which is very annoying  :-[ any gas (primus, jet boil..) that's connected to it barely struggles to get through and burn. Seems like something is blocked up. Back on Monday for a refund  :-\

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014 »

Hopefully it is just a wonky valve on that particular item and not a bad batch or design.
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]