Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Summit camping and camp fires  (Read 16538 times)

• Newbie Poster
Summit camping and camp fires
« on: February 25, 2011 »

Alright folks

Getting itchy feet to get out for some wild camping and have promised myself a summit camp in March!!
From reading reviews and having been to the top of Bearnagh, I have selected that as my location.
Going to use my DD tarp with a 4 seasons sleeping bag inside a plastic (survival) bivvy bag.
I am interested in tips on what form my camp fire should take at the top?
After reading Tim’s blog on ‘Stargazing from Doan’ like the idea of the Ikea cutlery drainer as a Hobo Stove!
Reading other blogs and posts in the forum I keep seeing references to ‘Fire Logs’!!
Was in SuperValu this afternoon and bought a Fire Log in a paper wrapper in which you put in your fire and just light the paper. Is this the same ‘Fire Log’ you guys are referring to? 
What other fuel can you use in a Hobo Stove?
I have some charcoal left over from last years BBQ season, could you use that?

I’ve pencilled in either the 11th March or 1st April for my summit camp so if anybody wants to join me then give me a shout.

Cheers
Rob

ZTO

• Newbie Poster
Re: Summit camping and camp fires
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011 »

I'm Tim's mountaineering buddy, and I was with him on the Doan summit camp.

The Ikea strainer works excellently. Just bring a firelog (that is what you got in Super Valu), break it up and burn it in pieces in the stove.
That will last for several hours. Try to set something beneath it to avoid scorching the ground. Also, replace the plastic bag ASAP. I used to use one myself, and they're terrible for condensation. The DD tarp should hold up well too, I've used on on several summit camps.

Also, you can use hexi blocks for cooking in a hobostove, or else use twigs or anything else flammable. I would recommend the log though, having a fire is nice.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011 by ZTO »

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011 »

Just take that firelog you got and cut it into smaller blocks with a hammer / screwdriver or suchlike. Size and shape doesn't matter as long as they'll fit in. Just take something to light them with like a few bits of firelighter in a sandwich bag.

If you want a cost effective alternative to the survival bag get the Alpkit Hunka for £35 delivered. It's a great bivvy bag.
http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16312&category_id=253

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011 »

Cheers ZTO & RedLeader
This wife’s Ikea Cutlery drainer is now going to mysteriously disappear from the kitchen and find it’s way into my kit bag!!!  ;)
I have a few Hexi Stove’s and Blocks in my kit so will bring them along with whatever else I can find in the garage that will burn.

I’ve been looking for a Bivvy bag now for a few months and didn’t really see anything that took my fancy but have now placed my order for a ‘Hunka’ and looking forward to trying it out, cheers RedLeader.

Tim

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011 »

While hexi blocks will work fine for cooking over, you're going to need a lot of them to sustain a fire for any length of time, and the firelog is by far the cheapest, with the best burn time/weight ratio as well, as one log lasted me and ZTO for just over 3 hours on Doan, which would be quite a substantial amount of wood. I found the best way to burn the firelog was just to break it up off some rocks and throw it all in the stove, then light it with a firesteel and some lint/toilet roll.

If you're going up on the 11th March be sure and let me know and I should be free to go up. April 1st is out for me though.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011 »

count me in for april.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011 »

My Hunka bivvy bag arrived during the week and it looks like a good choice!!!
Been practicing my tarp pitching in the back garden this weekend so I'm all set for next weekend the 11th.

Tim

• Top Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011 »

Are you still on for friday 13K? Any idea of what time you'll be heading out at and where from/to?

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011 »

I might also be able to go this Friday, so keep the post updated plz, wonder what the weather is for Friday night.....

Tim

• Top Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011 »

Looks to be pretty wet but I guess that could change between now and then

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011 »

Hmmm, wets no fun !

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011 »

Hmmm, wets no fun !

We're not called NI-Wild for nothing..! We could set up a sister site called NI-Calm for the fair weather campers  :P
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011 »

lol, still, wets not as nice as dry!

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011 »

Sorry... I meant to say more in my post above but I got all carried away, trying to be funny  :-[

I'm glad to hear you ditched the Survival Bag 13k.  It's great piece of kit to carry for survival purposes, but not to use as a proper Bivvy bag.  you will really enjoy the comfort of the Alpkit.

The other thing I wanted to add was, make sure you take a good supply of firelighters.  The Firelogs, which are excellent when they get going, are near impossible to light without fire lighters if there is any wind.  Also, if you are burning two logs the Hobo (Ikea Drainer) can get a bit choked up so give it a good poke when the first log burns down and put some fresh firelighters in before adding the second log.

Hope you enjoy Bearnagh... It's definately one of my favourite  :)
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011 »

NI-Pub!

Hmmm, wets no fun !

We're not called NI-Wild for nothing..! We could set up a sister site called NI-Calm for the fair weather campers  :P
Pages: [1] 2 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]