Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Extreme bushtucker  (Read 6847 times)

andymcinroy

• Jr. Poster
Extreme bushtucker
« on: August 21, 2013 »

Swan 'killed and barbecued' in Windsor.

:-X

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-23778649

KyleL

• Sr. Poster
Extreme bushtucker
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013 »

I'm going to stand in the vegetarian corner and shrug my shoulders.

They are just pretty chickens.

You hypocritical meat eaters :P

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Extreme bushtucker
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013 »

Sounds like some of the people in that article would be wise not to check how their chickens etc are treated before they arrive in Sainsburys. When I read the article all I can think is "HUMAN BEING IN MEAT EATING SHOCKER!".

This amused me too
"I would have been devastated if I had been walking along there with my little boy and he had seen that."
Imagine a child seeing a dead animal!

andymcinroy

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013 »

I actually agree.

It seems that our attitude to eating animals is driven more by our heart than our head. 
This swan probably had a good life and died quickly to give someone (or several people) a meal.

Of course, if everyone did this then the swan population might be in trouble. For that reason I wouldn't actually support who did it.

However, I posted it mainly as I thought you bushcrafters might be interested  in the press reaction.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013 »

I actually agree.

It seems that our attitude to eating animals is driven more by our heart than our head. 
This swan probably had a good life and died quickly to give someone (or several people) a meal.

Of course, if everyone did this then the swan population might be in trouble. For that reason I wouldn't actually support who did it.

However, I posted it mainly as I thought you bushcrafters might be interested  in the press reaction.

Why bring bushcrafters into this when it in more likely to be the others which i will not say here. As they are doing it everywhere even here, IE wood burn dam, shanes castles ETC......

Why bring bushcrafters into this when it in more likely to be the others which i will not say here. As they are doing it everywhere even here, IE wood burn dam, shanes castles ETC......
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013 »

Typical mass media journalism designed to do nothing other than provoke shock and admonishment from the general public. All in the name of ratings, as usual some half wit trying to work their way to a front page one day.

Now all ranting aside from the idiot writer, it just shows how many folks cry out loud about any "fuzzy" animal death and happily tuck into their battery reared Sunday dinner. Generally anyone who consumes any form of meat I regard as a hypocrite the moment their mouth opens on issues like this, though if a veggie/vegan wants to debate it I happily engage them as at least they stand up for something.

Odd how a reporter can accept the judgement of someone that cannot tell between "could of been shot or beaten". Also how they somehow knew it had been "possibly barbecued on a disposable bbq", if they were a litterbug to leave the carcass why didn't they leave the bbq too?

For me there are only really three possible issues with the event.

1. It's bad bloddy form to leave left over carcasses about the place when it could of been disposed of in a tidy fashion.
2. The method of dispatch is unknown so it's either praise or curse on this one.
3. Isn't it illegal ti kill swans at Windsor? Thought they were under royal protection, of course that then opens up a nice can of worms on the reasons behind the death.

Overall I can't see it being horrific for the bird ladies son to have seen it, but rather a chance at some wildlife education and Sherlock practice. Sadly can't see which journalist wrote the article to email them they work for the BBC and not a Sunday rag mag.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]