Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Fourm Newbee  (Read 11431 times)

ThirdPartyLurker

• Newbie Poster
Fourm Newbee
« on: May 14, 2015 »

Hi Guys. Have been browsing through for tips and ideas for quite a while now for my first wild camp with my dog and figured it was about time i signed up. Found loads of info and ideas from you guys and seems like a great community you have going with your big camps and sharing ideas.

I have wanted to head to the Mournes for quite a while now and i figured it was a good a place as any for a first wild camp but just had a couple of questions i couldn't find browsing the forums.

Annalong seems to be a popular camp location but i wanted to hike for a couple hours before setting up shop and then hike back the car in the morning, anyone have a recommended route or simply head up mountain?

And then of course i want to carry as little as necessary, are there any fresh water sources around that area to avoid carting litres with me?

Have some more thoughts on gear that i'm getting together but that can wait for a different post, ill avoid bombing to many questions on the first go.

Thanks guys

lomick1

• Newbie Poster
Re: Fourm Newbee
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015 »

Welcome aboard,first thing you need to get is a os map of the mournes and make yourself familiar with varios feathers eg rivers,streams, lakes,ponds,bogs, tracks etc.and then you can plan your routes.yes analong is popular ad you have easy acess into the valley,just park up the lane from carrick little car park at carrick plant 5 pound for over night safe parking and then head up the lane into the valley from hear you can follow the tracks and your options just open out in front off you to the left binian straight ahead blue lake walk along the track past the forest and then turn right into the valley and the mountains are yours to enjoy

spynappels

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015 »

If you are wanting to hike in over the mountains, rather than along roads, you could start in Newcastle and go up over the Donard sadlle and approach Annalong Wood from the other end.

If walking in on a road is ok, you can park in Annalong village itself and head up that way.

Parking near Carrick Little carpark is an option as Mick said, but it leaves you little in the way of a walk in.

Annalong River runs through there, so there is water, but always filter and boil, or at least boil and use a sterilising tablet.

The best map for the area is an OS 1:25,000 Activity Map ISBN  978-1873819913. Make sure you have a compass with you as well, and know how to use it. The terrain is not difficult, but in good weather is the time to learn to use and trust the map, so you are more comfortable in your skills and equipment should the weather roll in. In the Mournes, this can happen terrifyingly quickly at times.

Mobile coverage is reasonably good, but leave a note with your intended route with someone, along with instructions to alert the Emergency Services, should you not turn up in time. Also, don't be afraid to turn back if things start to turn sour. It is better to have a short trip with a desire to go out again, than a long, uncomfortable and even dangerous one that puts you off for good.

Above all, have fun. The Mournes are an amazing place and we're very lucky to have them in easy reach. Enjoy the experience.

Stefan

ThirdPartyLurker

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015 »

Thanks for the advice. Iv got an os map on the list to gather before i go anywhere. I intend on bringing my dog with me so would rather avoid the roads but i will look into your suggestion about starting from Donard and making my way across. Plan on taking in at least on peak in the two days so Binnian looks to be fairly handy from either of those starting points for one of the days.

Have an idea about camping out at Blue Lough or Ben Crom as well but from what i can tell with the less cover ill make the decision on the weather the day i leave. Thanks for the advice guys, as a newbie ill take what ever is going

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015 »

You can hike to Annalong Wood from a number of different starting points, we've come across from Meelmore Lodge via the Brandy Pad before. There are rivers all around the Annalong Valley (though they significantly lessen in summer) but you'd want to boil / purify it before drinking. If it's your first time out and about in the Mournes you can do a reckkie beforehand so you know your route and can gauge how much gear you want to carry.

ThirdPartyLurker

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015 »

Figured i would just post as an extension of my old intro. Ok so long in the planning i finally have everything together and the time to do this thing. I have one last trip to the shop tomorrow for a new compass as the last one has shown its age and wanted to see if you guys had any additional tips on gear or something I have forgotten about. Iv tested and tried everything so i know its working. Any thoughts would be great.

Gear List
    Clothes, 1 spare of trousers and tshirt, 2 spare socks (im aware of a song about how important socks are)
    Compass
    Map
    Gas
    Stove
    Pot
    Touch (hand and head)
    Food for dog
    Dinner, breakfast & snack for me
    2 Litre water (i will be following glen river and camping near analong so figured water sources available, 2 safe or overkill?)
    Sleeping Bag
    Tent
    Mat
    Spoon
    I have a knife but its a bit overkill and seems unnecessary?
    Lighter[/li]

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015 »

Don't forget a midge net, VERY IMPORTANT!  ;)  and a light pair of gloves too (e.g builders thin gloves) I prefer the headnet and gloves to spraying nasty repellant all over myself (although Avon skin so soft is acceptable). Pack as much water as you want, its easy to pour out if you find your pack too heavy.

also:
Fully charged phone (and a spare battery if you have one)
Waterproofs
Fleece jumper
Pillow (or bring a pillowcase and use the fleece and waterproofs)
Wet wipes (just in case  8) )
Warm hat (temp of minus 0.6 recorded in the Mournes this week  :o )
Some first aid stuff (few plasters, roll on bandage, antiseptic wipe, painkillers)
Sun cream (wishful thinking)
Camera  - we want to see your trip report with photos please  :)

think outside, no box required

Dannyboy

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015 »

camped in annalong last night for the first time with the kids and made the mistake of no midge spray  :-[ ill learn from that lol but have to say it was a great spot and minus the midges the kids loved it, had a bit of tidying to do first though  :(

ThirdPartyLurker

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015 »

Excellent. So midge spray definitely hits the top of the list of what i need to buy today along with some first aid. Everything else just needs added to the bag.

Iv heard rumors of glass being around Annalong from time to time. Did you see any yesterday? Thinking of the dogs pads is all.

Ill bring an extra rubbish bag as well just in case although taking it back over Donard the next morning doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Weather was looking to be quite nice but if its anything like it was in Belfast last night I don't think even waterproofs are going to keep my dry.

Thanks for the help, knew there was something i was going to forget. Now off to Cotswolds

ThirdPartyLurker

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015 »

So I eventually got my hike and camp done way back August and figured i would post up a little of my learning's in case anyone else stumbled upon it and found anything useful.

I learned a fair bit for my first time out and first things first, if you hope to get parking at Donard Forest arrive nice and early, swear I spent half an hour creeping until i finally able to nab a spot. I had my route planned, thought i had everything covered and was ready for the challenge. Not long up the hill I discovered my second lesson, dont forget a smaller water bottle. I had a larger 2 liter bottle in my bag, it just made taking on water much more of a pain. This was my first time in the mournes and even the views on the climb up were amazing.

It was half way up Donard that I quickly realized how much the extra weight my pack had added, I was not used to it at all. I maybe tackled the highest peak before i was ready but the views from the top were worth it.

I followed the wall along towards annalong forest and with a little extra direction via the road and the car park I found my way. Although note to anyone asking directions from one male to another, dont start the conversation with "Do you guys come here often?". Only afterwards had i caught on to what i actually said. After topping up my water along the way I made camp at the edge of Blue lough. Was such a peacfull spot

Think it took my about 6 hours although its been a while now I cant exactly remember. After heating some stew for myself and my hairy companion I waiting untill night fall for some stars and hit the hay. Her first time staying in the tent wasnt as bad as i expected it to be either which I was very pleasently surprised about. Next morning after a great sunrise I made tracks for my next two peaks, Cove Mountain and Slieve Beg before making for the gap in the wall and back down through Donard forest.

Part of me wanted to do the trip to prove I could, another because I thought it was fun and by god it was fun. Nothing more relaxing than sitting by a spring with the stunning views along analong valley taking in the silence and beauty that is the mournes. It will be a long couple of months until the summer returns before im out again, that or a new sleeping bag and I can honestly say I cant wait for a return.

Thanks to the advice on these fourms and special thanks to Dannyboy and LandyLiam, if it wasnt for the midge spray Im not sure my evening by the lake would have been just so enjoyable.

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015 »

Good on you ThirdParty, there's nothing like that feeling when you get out into the hills for your first over-nighter.

Darran

• Top Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015 »

Sounds like you had a great time!

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015 »

Fair play TPL, a nice wee challenge to take on.  Glad you had a great time.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015 »

Nice one, thanks for sharing. Brave to camp with the dog, luckily mr fox didn't come snooping around, or maybe the dog actually kept him away.
think outside, no box required

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015 »

Brilliant, glad you made it, was quite the hike for a first time out.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]